Posted to sci.electronics.repair
powerampfreak powerampfreak is offline

Default Ultrascan monitor Dell P991

Hi,
This is a Sony Trinitron monitor which I like very much. Its
performance is awesome, unfortunately it has begun giving me picture
troubles. Maybe a year ago, I had to continously decrease screen
brightness and contrast to compensate for the monitor's own increase
of these parameters.
Today I'm using brightness of zero and contrast of say about 20. This
will give me a decent picture. If brightness and contrast are turned
up, retrace lines are seen. Also, the screen when it should be all
black, is more like purple.
This gave me an idea of a too high G2 voltage. But I was amazed when
trying to decrease G2 (on the HVT), this actually changed the focus!
Of course, the focus pot changed the focus aswell. It seems like there
is some short between G2 / focus circuits???
Any advice is appreciated. I'm an electronics engineer of switching
power supplies so you don't need to give any advice like "bring it to
a technician", I'm well into electronics.

Regards
PAF