Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jake Jake is offline

Default Is this floor plan legal? (re building regs)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:29:55 -0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
wrote:

PS... It is a one-bedroom flat, all on one floor.

Jake

Yes IUI, a ground floor window acts as a fire escape.

Phew! Thank you!

What an odd layout
though, is there no back door?

It was originally a 3-bed semi. What used to be the hous's back door
is now the ground floor flat's entrance. The house's original front
door gives axcess to the stairwell leading up to the upper flat.

are the ground floor windows big enough to
get out of?

Yes, way big enough to ecape through - if you smash one.. They are
UPVC double-glazed, so I guess a frail person in a wheelchair would
have a real problem.

I wish, when I installed them, I had chosen ones that have a tall,
wide opening section bug enough to climb through. The ones I installed
only have a narow horizontal opening at the top. So you'd have to
smash the main section of the window to escape through it.

Does that still make them a legal fire exit, do you know?

Jake