Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] d.travers1@btinternet.com is offline

Default stud detectors

On 24 Feb, 16:52, "The Medway Handyman"
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...nley-Intellise...

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

I've got two stud detectors and I find them somewhat flakey on occassion.
Stanley is a decent brand, so maybe it's better.

Sometimes you can find the studs by looking at the skirting board. If its
fixed at regular intervals it's likely the studs are in the same place.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

the word stud applied to what is a piece of wood is akward, as is the
use of a stud detection tool, which normaly have a metal detector. I
have examined a few and they will not say on the packaging wether they
detect a wooden baton or the nails that hold plasterboard and laffin
plaster wood to the wood. If the wood that is used to nail
plasterboard to is called stud, then it would require more than a
metal detector to find it. If these detectors only find the nails and
it is the nails which are detected, then the detectors should be
called metel detectors.