jim rozen

Default Strangest first project.

In article , JMartin957 says...

Thought that might get you - I recall your mentioning something about the
reservoir. We lived on W Main in Mt. Kisco, right about where the Saw Mill
crosses it. Moved later to Tripp St., near the Armonk line.

Bicycling to Croton for summer fishing was either out Croton Ave/Croton Lake
Road or out Crow Hill Road. Crow Hill Road was the fun one - downhill, anyway.

Where you at?

You bicycled on crow hill rd?? Nowadays that's unfortunately
not possible, it's a fairly major shortcut for folks who are
heading in/out of mt kisco. Narrow and cars drive real fast.

I live in peekskill, so I ride the back roads that wind around
the reservoir to get to IBM in yorktown heights. I can go
either on the north or south side, and now that I've got
a dual sport bike, the dirt roads that border the reservoir
are open to me as well.

For those who are interested, the New Croton Reservoir is a larger,
expanded version of the reservoir that made NYC possible. In the
mid 1800s the city decided they needed water because NY simply
had nothing to drink, and no way to put fires out. So they
created an aquaduct about 50 miles long and ran water from
westchester county down to New York. All by gravity.

Later on, around the turn of the century, they realized that
bigger was better, so they expanded the size of the reservoir
by about ten times, and created the largest hand-hewn stone
structure in the world, the New Croton Dam, and this still
provides a major source of NY's drinking water.

The story of how the dam was built is among one of the most
fascinating engineering stories I've ever come across.

Jim

please reply to: