Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water In Crawl space during Home Inspection- Charlotte- NC

On Feb 24, 8:44�am, "sanjiv" wrote:
On Feb 24, 1:04 am, "Art" wrote:

You need to have someone look at the problem. *Is it underground water
coming up? *Don't buy the house in that case. *But if it is poor grading
that can be fixed. *Call your town's building inspection department and tell
them about the problem. * I don't think the house *can get a Certificate of
Occupancy with that problem.

How to fix it. *If you are near Raleigh, I used Regional Waterproofing once
on a crawl space house and they did a good job. *Over 10 years ago but they
are still around. *Call them up and see what they think. *But if it is an
underground stream, find another house.

Ideally you want an outside french drain that uses gravity and an inside
french drain with a sump pump. *I would call that a permanent solution if
done correctly.

"gpsman" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 23, 11:14 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
brevity snip

I'd run away. *6 or 7 inches of water is bad mojo. *Maybe not for the
house,
but imagine all the snakes, mosquitos, rats, and other slimy vermin that
would romp and play down in that crawlspace. *Imagine what it would be
like
the next time a hurricane slammed through the area?

Seconded. *Not to mention mold.

That's a -serious- water problem, and would be expensive to fix.
-----

- gpsman

How can i know if it is underground water or surface water.
The home inspector took a 2 ft iron rod and penentrated in the ground
with no problems as the ground was very soft .
The front corner of the house had water in crawl space- Hide quoted text -

whats the grading around the home? top of hill or low spot in valley

If you have a decent downhill grade to install a french drain running
to daylight, and not going to flood area your sending water you have a
solution.

sup pumps require indfrastructure, to run during power failures, back
up generators etc.

I would shop for a different home if the home is in a low area....

water can and does destroy homes.

snakes, mold, mildew, moisture and odors in home.

to say nothing of future resale value!