Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Measuring load on a circuit breaker.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:53:18 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:34:41 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Consider that while current does flow both ways (or more correctly, is
ALTERNATING direction), POWER goes one way. "Direction" is useful
there.

How do you figure that? Power is a scalar quantity given by I^2*R.

Power dissipated by a load is always positive no matter which direction
the current flows through the load.

Chris

Basically what I said.

Considering that there's a "source" of the power and a "load" where
it's dissipated. it would be hard not to see a direction in there.

Hi,
This is quite improper statement. From basic Ohm's law, current/voltage
produces power measured in Watts usually which can be converted into
Joule, Calorie, Horse Power, etc. Current flows, power does not.
There is phantom power(false power, wasted power) in inductive cicuit.
Many loads are not pure resistive. There is always inductive/capacitive
component.

Yes.

BTW, it was in dealing with that, that I learned about complex
numbers.

None of this changes the logical direction here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy