Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Multimeter + outlet = spark

On 23 Feb 2007 16:33:13 -0800, wrote:

I mistakenly left my digital multimeter on DC when i went to test a
wall outlet, and it threw a spark and charred the tips of my
multimeter. I had always been told it would not do such a thing, even
on the wrong setting. However, I am now timid to recheck the outlet
on the AC setting. So, I used a outlet plug light indicator and it
said everything was kosher with the outlet. Can anyone tell me why
the spark?

Tom

It shouldn't spark at all. If the multimeter is of any decent design
it should have a high ohm/volt rating and should not present a
meaningful load to a circuit even on DC.

Did you rotate the switch while connected? Did you fumble one of
the leads? Did you have it on current?