Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Pietrangelo Bob Pietrangelo is offline

Default Propane vs Natural Gas

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
nat gas is there,without having to call a truck to bring it. and
having had propane in my early days,it was way more expensive than nat
gas.... it cracks me up when i see the commercials about how great and
cheap propane and heating oil is...lucas

Everything is relative. If I want natural gas, it will be about $20,000 to
run the line to my house. After that it gets a bit cheaper than oil.

There are several downfalls to Propane

1. The BTU content for Propane is lower than NG and Oil
2. It is dangerous
3. Requires refills by propane truck (similar to oil delivery)

Except for a swimming pool heater you will never see propane used where Nat
is available (i could not back up never)

Ed, believe it or not Oil was cheaper to heat with this year than NG. I
don't think you can compae the two in price. One year ones higher and the
next year the other is. I think it is genuinely a wash in the long run

--
Bob Pietrangelo
(home)