Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robbo Robbo is offline

Default heaters (patio heater?)

wrote in message
news
I'm spending a lot of time in the garage and I'd like to be able to
heat it whilst I work in there. I was wondering about these quartz
patio heaters which are advertised as "the only heat that doesn't blow
away". Are they any good? I notice they are only rated at about 1.2kW,
whereas a fan heater might be 3kW. Is this because they are more
efficient or would they not warm me as much as a fan heater?

I see they say they must be mounted 2.7 metres high. Is this because
the higher they are the wider area they will cover? For a patio,
that's fine, but who has a 2.7m high garage? Could I mount it lower?

I'm wondering if I need some frost protection in there to keep the odd
tins of pint from freezing and too keep condensation off the tools to
prevent rust. Would a tubular heater on a frost stat do, and if so is
there a formula to calculate what size heater I'd need?

You need something like
http://tinyurl.com/yuldcr