Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default AFCI and UPS?

If that were true, then the Christmas tree fire would not have taken
out the entire house in only five minutes. A conventional circuit
breaker trips after the fire has started. This fire is why AFCIs are
now required for bedrooms - where an sleeping occupant has the least
warning time; where such a fire can be most fatal.

Huh? Unless there is something to limit the current, arcs tend to ramp up
in current demands.

Perhaps I am missing something here but I would be hard pressed to create an
"arc" between HOT and NEUTRAL (or ground) that would NOT trip a conventional
breaker. A "direct" arc would not have anything to limit the current.