Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Why do chisels have to be sharp?

Mike Dembroge wrote:

| Where in the world did you read something that said to dig the hole
| with a "sharp shovel"? That's truly amazing!

Not too amazing. Also sharpen your garden hoe and long-handled fork
tines.

A sharpened (to _two_ edges) straight screwdriver won't slip out of
the slot and mar your work as readily as a screwdriver with
worn/rounded edges and corners.

I sharpen my center punch from time to time; and every now and then I
run a fine file down the end of my putty knives - makes em work better
for just about everything you'd want to use one for.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar