Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20 trbo20 is offline

Default Cutting a Preformed Laminate Countertop

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to install preformed laminate countertops that come
in right and left hand miters. The ones I'll be using have an
integrated back splash and a bullnosed edge. A picture of what I'm
talking about is available at: http://tinyurl.com/3cxmob

They seem like a fairly good solution for the price, but I'm a little
lost as to which is the best way to cut them. There's one butt joint
that will fall at my kitchen sink and if it's not square and true the
seam will have gaps. Does anyone know how to make this join tight?

I thought about using a jig and a fine toothed skilsaw, but the
backsplash prevents it. A bandsaw would work well if I had one large
enough for the job, but I don't. My idea at this point is to use a
jigsaw and a belt sander to dress the edge.

I welcome any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
-Tom