Posted to rec.woodworking
HotRdd HotRdd is offline

Default I finally have a gloat!!!

Sorry for the RANT

Unfortunately I've worked in the real word long enough to understand two
things. At least where I live. If someone shows up at my door with a huge
vocabulary, big words, a suit, and promises and is trying to sell me
something most of what he says is probably B.S., but when I talk to my
machinist who's a "red neck", he shoots straight, talks loud and I can trust
what he has to say. I'm more interested in what a person does than what they
say, some of the best tradesmen in the world couldn't write a business
report or lecture in front of a crowd, But throw them a piece of wood or
metal and you'll see some universal language take shape. Language and
literacy are huge issues but correcting someone in front of a huge group
just belittles them and makes them not want to come back or speak/type. This
doesn't mean that they don't have something relevant to add.

When I was younger I worked at a donut & deli shop, one day a we'll dressed,
well kept and muscular fellow came in and walked up to the counter and asked
what type of sandwiches we had. I quickly pointed at the board above my head
and started helping other customers. A few minutes later he asked again what
type of sandwiches we had, a little irritated I pointed at the board and
took off to help someone else. A third time he caught me and started asking
if we had roast beef, ham, twelve-grain bread etc. I was irritated and about
to take off when he leaned over the counter and in front of dozens of
customers said, with a red face, "I'm really sorry to bother you, but I can't
read"

Guess who was the most embarrassed? I'm not sure if it was he or I, but I
can guarantee you that I try very hard not to judge anymore. I've learned
several similar lessons in life but I know that "people watch the way you
walk, and don't listen to the way you talk" preverbaly speaking of course.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 23, 6:51 am, "HotRdd" wrote:

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your
grammar,
when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember
anyone
asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my
tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street.
few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always
joke
that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is
burnin"
they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer
spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it
"correctly".

HOWEVER, unless you are "blessed" with supreme self-confidence, and
don't give a hoot what people think of you, you'd better pay a bit of
attention to your spelling and grammar, because what you say and how
you say it affect the opinions of others as to your intelligence.
However unfair that may be, you might be "loosing" out on
opportunities because you appear to be unworthy of further attention.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.