IMM

Default Megaflow Query

"Julia Mann" wrote in message
om...

Thanks for that.

I had not heard of a heat bank before or had one recommended to me.
The whole thing started when I asked for rads to be installed in the
bedrooms off the warm air (it's a HiJan water heater). I was given
various quotes, all saying they would install an indirect unit. The
the megaflo was only mentioned after the tap problem started when the
new sinks were put in. I have another company coming tomorrow so will
ask them about this heat bank. How much could I expect to pay for
this?

The Range Cylinders models are reasonable. Christian is pricing them up
right now. I think he is going that way.

£800 for the megaflo was way too much. I was initially told
about £200 but now I realise he doesn't seem to know what he is
talking about that doesn't surprise me.

BTW, he has to be BBA approved to fit a Megalow. If the thing bursts, and
they can really make a mess as they are at high pressure, unlike a heat
bank, the insurance company will not pay out. They also require an annual
service too, which the insurance company will look at too. I doubt if your
man is BBA approved, or CORGI either.

Also, why did you ask why did I have an electric shower installed?
Should I not have? Was there another option? my guy said I couldn't
have a mixer/power shower unless I went for a combi, but I stuck to my
guns as I actully like warm air and did not want to bin a nearly new
unit!

He sounds silly to me. Electric is expensive to run by 3 to 4 times per kW.
You already have gas so use it. Integrated power shower mixers are
available, see Screwfix, and are not expensive. They give a very good
shower. These have the pump in the mixer plastic cover.

This guy is passing himself as a pro
and is in business. Good job he
hasn't been paid for all the work.....

"IMM" wrote in message

"Julia Mann" wrote in message
om...

Thanks for all the advice. As I am totally non-technical some of it is
a bit beyond me! However, there are a few things I should perhaps
clarify.

I have a warm air heating system which was there when I moved in
(almost new) which I am keeping so no chance of a combi.

Good move.

I have to have the cylinder changed to an
indirect y-plan system so I can have
rads running off, heated by the warm air
unit water heater. This is ok, it's just that
I have been told that a megaflow is the only way to
get the hot taps running ok.

Not so. A heat bank is cheaper and will heat up quite fast if it is
connected directly (no coil) to the water heater. The rads can be run

off
the heat bank cylinder by having a flow and return run off the bottom

of
the heat bank cylinder. I assume you have a Janus water heater.

I already have a nice new electric shower installed.

Why?

Basically it's just 3 sinks which are suffering and so
spending any more than is absolutely needed
is going to be painfull!

Exactly. Find what the flow problem really is. If a new cylinder is
required do not go unvented Megaflo, go "integrated" heat bank. Cheaper

and
more efficient.

I had a quote today of about £800 (just
supply) which is nowhere near
what I was expecting!!

You mean over the top?

I spoke to a guy today who thought
it could be the pipework which has
been used to install the new sinks -
the bath is ok (fills faster than
any I have ever had before) and this
is the original bath using the
original pipework. He said hot water
pipes should be 22mm,

To the bath, yes.

but the ones going up underneath the
new sinks in my flat are 15mm.

That is correct.

He also said flexi hoses severely
reduce flow, which have been used on 2 of
the sinks as far as I can see.

If they are kinked, yes. Replace the flexible hoses with plastic pipe on

one
sink and see what happens.

My guy said the bath has a better flow because it is lower down. It's
only a matter of inches - can this be true?

No. That is balls.

Is it possible he has used
incorrect pipework and just doesn't
want to admit it?

The pipes sounds fine. It is probably the flexible hoses and/or the

taps.

When I asked him he did not know that
some taps were unsuitable for gravity fed systems
so the kitchen one may be useless anyway and
the flow is pitiful. My mains cold water pressure
is very good indeed.

Points to flexible hoses and taps.

Another thing is he has installed a shower
for me and the outside drain became blocked
and sewage came back into the shower! He
admitted he hadn't installed a non-return
valve as they can get blocked themselves
so it's not a good idea. The drain unblocker guy said I
should have had one.

Am I being taken for a ride?

Could be. It appears this guy is an amateur.

---