Posted to alt.home.repair
avid_hiker avid_hiker is offline

Default Electrical Interference on Cable Internet???

I have a cable guy coming out later this week to check my signals so
I'll ask him if the electric lines could cause enough interference to
affect my internet signal. It appears so and makes sense to me
especially if the cable is right on top of and running parallel with
the romex. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

-Felder

This is highly correct.....running parallel to electric ( AC ) lines
will cause interference. AC lines create a magnetic field around the
AC wire.......when running Cable line parallel to it; the magnetic
field basically raps or surrounds the Cable line and therefore causing
interference. Note-The magnetic field will not be felt if cable line
is run at a 90 degree angle across the AC line nor if cable line is
far enough away from the AC so that the "M" field does not encircle
it. But- you got it and found it.....good job!!

Dean