Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default Electrical Interference on Cable Internet???

wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:13:19 -0600, BillGill
wrote:

Again, the TDR flagged these problems immediately. Coax and twisted
pair are very good at eliminating outside interferance

That means that good design rules don't apply because
you know that they don't really mean anything

If you don't make good terminations all the routing design rules in
the world won't help that much and if the terminations are good it
doesn't matter. Coax and twisted pair are very robust transmission
methods. Certainly you can go around separatring cables and
rearranging them so they cross at perfect 90 degree angles but if that
is fixing anything you are just ****ing on the fire. That time would
be better spent fixing the NeXT problems you have from bad
terminations and impedance problems damaged cables.
I never designed anything but I fixed them for 40 years. I know what
works.

I've said it before. Good design rules are good at any
time. Good design rules do include good terminations,
but they aren't everything. Follow good conservative
design rules and the chance of ever having a problem is
much reduced. Don't throw out the baby with the
bathwater just because you have all the answers. Not
too long ago I had a cable tech in because I was having
an intermittent cold weather outage. He walked in and
jumped right on the connectors on my cables and refused
to listen when I tried to tell him the problem. The
system was working when he got there, because he got
there after sun rise and it had, as usual, started
working. I admit he got a little better signal on my
TV, but he didn't fix the problem and refused to admit
that there was a real problem. It sounds a lot like you.
There are other problems than just bad connectors. And
the way to help reduce them is to follow good design
rules in all cases.

Bill Gill