Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default Power quality monitor -- cheap?

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:54:17 -0500) it happened "John Gilmer"
wrote in :

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
.. .
Please! I hope you mean to have this buffered through an isolation
transformer!

Why should he?

It's the equivalent of use a "scope" probe to look at line voltage. The
"danger" is at the probe tip but not at the end going to the scope.

There is a little catch here.
The PC case is normally connected to mains ground, and we want the quality
of the line between zero and phase, then without a transformer we also grab
all the noise and stuff between ground and zero.
That could show some peaks in some cases..

R1 |
| |
[ ] R2 |
|____________| soundcard ground