Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI Phil-in-MI is offline

Default Scroll saw secrets for making neat holes

Scroll Saw is an eye - hand type of thing. A learned skill that takes
practice. Not a large learning curve, and it don't take long, but it does
take practice. Basically no jigs or fixtures to buy. Wood is free hand
moved past the blade.

Neat round holes are very hard to do. Advanced scroll saw user technique.
Takes a lot of eye-hand movement to hand feed the wood past the blade in a
smooth constant feed-rate, and constant turn. Not easy to do.

Everyone knows about blade drift, or lead, with a bandsaw. The blade wants
to cut slightly off center. With Scroll Saw, the blade drift changes by a
degree or two as you use the blade.

A scroll saw is just a motorized coping saw. May I presume you tried to
cut fat of the line and use a spindle drum sander to sneak up on the line,
but found that technique not satisfactory for your own reasons?

Another reply suggested a drill press 'circle cutter' tools. I agree. Be
aware this are real bad news on the bones in your hand if you are not full
focused of what you are doing. Please don't loose concentration when you
use these types of tools.

Phil

"Ignoramus19901" wrote in message
I have a need to make neat round holes in plywood, from 1.75 to maybe 5-6
inches in diameter. That's not for a woodworking project, it is to
make guides for plasma cutting.

I have a relatively nice Ryobi scroll saw that uses pinned blades.

What I found out was that making sure that the curvature of the cut
was constant, was kind of difficult.

I would like to know if there are any "secrets" of scroll saw cutting,
that I am neglecting.

My feeling is that I should look for a blade that is not as "deep"
(deep meaning dimension along the line that is being cut, can be also
thought of as width of the blade).

Any other suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

thanks