Posted to rec.woodworking
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Spraying vs. Rolling Kitchen Cabinets

GG.and.UN. wrote:

Well I stopped out to Home Depot and picked up some of the hotdog
covers and some Penetrol and will give it a go soon. I'm going to
resand everything and try again utilizing those two products.
Hopefully I'll get good results! Too bad they don't make the hotdog
rollers in 1" or 2" lengths for doing the framework of the cabinets.
It's a pain to use the 4" rollers because of overroll (I hope that's
the roller's version of overspray).

I did do a test roll with the hotdog roller and some Penetrol mixed
with the paint and it seems like the paint takes much longer to dry.
Does anyone recommend using some Japan Drier as well to counteract
this or is it a desirable effect since the paint will have more time
to level? The downfall to this longer drying time is dust and small
hair particles...

Thanks for all the help!

If you add Penetrol per the label, drying time should not be an issue.
Get your work area real clean after sanding and before painting. If you
are getting noticeable amounts of "overroll", then perhaps your roller
is too loaded or you are pressing too hard. Keep a small foam brush,
wrung out in mineral spirits, to smoothe the overroll...very light touch.

In other posts, the question is asked whether to go with satin or semi.
For cabinets (or kitchen or bath walls), I think semi is easier to clean.

Shellac primers - I forget whether it is Bullseye or what - dry very
fast and are tough to brush out. They are really "overkill" for new
wood with no knots or bleed/stain problems. Ordinary primer of your
favorite paint brand should be fine.