Posted to misc.consumers.house
Licorice Tattoo Licorice Tattoo is offline

Default Is our builder gouging us on hardwood?

Hello,

We are having a new home built and we are getting hardwood floors
throughout, except the laundry room and bedrooms. Our builder sent us
to "Contemporary Carpet" to pick our flooring out. They quoted us a
price of $16,220 for all the hardwood. If I had to guess I'd say
there is hardwood throughout 1500 sq ft of the house. They broke it
down by room, and here is one to give you an example:

Great Room
353.5 sq ft
$5192

This comes to $14.69/sq ft. Does this seem high? Here are the floor
we chose: http://www.nextag.com/CAPELLA-Standa...99/prices-html.
This is prefinished maple flooring, which has about 5 layers.
According to that price, they are charging over $8/sq ft for
installation. This is higher than what I've mostly seen searching
around. Is there something I'm not thinking of that could bump up the
cost?

Thanks,
Steve