Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Replacing drywall along whole wall

I appreciate yours and Dave's response. Both of you suggested that the wall
went up first, ceiling last when everything I've read about drywalling says
put the ceiling on first, walls last. And actually that makes sense too, as
once the ceiling is on you have a good reference point for the wall line.
But perhaps bad construction or fast construction means the wall went on
first...

I hear what you're saying Dave about trying to cut a perfectly straight
line, but I just don't want to have to retape and redo the corners - I hate
mudding corners.

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 22, 6:01 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Just a simple question related to this. Assuming I want to remove all
the
drywall along a wall - if I wanted to keep the ceiling intact, should I
run
a knife along the corner first to break the joint tape?

I guess I'm wondering if pulling down the wall will shred the ceiling
regardless of how careful I am doing it. I guess in some regard I have
feather the corner when I retape so maybe this is a moot point anyway.
or
maybe I can cut the drywall say 6 inches from the corner and not remove
the
wall all the way to the ceiling then that makes installing the repair a
bit
simpler.

............ should I run a knife along the corner first to break the
joint tape?

yes
.......I guess I'm wondering if pulling down the wall will shred the
ceiling
regardless of how careful I am doing it. ......

Maybe....if the drywall went on the wall first its probably nailed to
the top plate.
So it might be a little hard to remove

.......I guess in some regard I have to
feather the corner when I retape so maybe this is a moot point
anyway. ....

Yup

........or maybe I can cut the drywall say 6 inches from the corner
and not remove the
wall all the way to the ceiling then that makes installing the repair
a bit simpler.

Even better!

Before you make that cut 7 remove the drywall on the wall, drive some
screws or nails just above the cut to secure the drywall so the piece
that you're leaving behind stays fixed.

cheers
Bob