Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Why do chisels have to be sharp?

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
.. .
Why is it that whenever I read an article that describes using a chisel
for something, the chisel always has to be "sharp"? "Clean out the
mortise with a sharp chisel." "Square up the corners with a sharp
chisel". Why does everyone, it seems, single out chisels as the only tool
that needs to be sharp.

I never see them say or write, "rip into strips on the table saw using a
sharp blade." "Flatten the boards on the jointer using sharp knives.",
"Run them through the planer with sharp knives installed.", "Use a block
plane, with a sharp blade, to clean up the edges."

It has always struck me as odd that writers and authors always mention
"sharp" when discussing the use of chisels and not other tools. Is it
really more important for a chisel to be sharp than any other tool?

Just an observation.

Mike

Because many do not know what a sharp chisel and/or how to achieve a sharp
chisel. :-)