Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Alkyd paint vs semi gloss latex on birch plywood?

If you have done something similar would you have thinned it a little or would you have used the semi gloss latex?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

If it could go in a gun, I would spray it. Unless you are going to
rub out a finish, that is the only way to get completely around brush
marks.

A couple of other things. Did you use the correct brush? For oil
based paints or finishes you should use a natural bristle brush. Your
paint store can put you in the right area for this kind of brush.
Contrary to popular belief, natural hair/bristle will last for years
when properly cleaned and stored.

And for me, I use Glidden industrial alkyd the most, and to have a
chance at a smooth finish I thin it by 10% to brush, a little more to
spray. Call the number on the can to see what tech support says or
call a paint store. Note I keep saying paint store, not the big box's
paint dept.

Give your project about 3 weeks to fully cure, then sand with 320 to
remove those brush strokes. When you have it smooth (remember that
any irregularities you leave behind will come right on through the new
coat) try another coat of thinned material with the correct brush.

Just my 0.02.

Robert