Posted to alt.home.repair
Teo Teo is offline

Default Water damage - what to expect

Thank you for all replies. The bath floor is tile. How long it will
take for warping or any other side effects to come up? Also, I went to
Home Depot and bought Greep (I hope I got the name right) for painting
the spots on the ceiling that the HD sales rep recommended. He told me
that I don't need anything else to fight mildew (if develops). Is that
good enough? How long should I wait before painting? It looks that
it's all dried out now (carpet and ceiling).

On Feb 22, 1:32 pm, "John F. F." wrote:
You may develop some buckling or warping of the bathroom sub floor which
could lead to finished floor damage if water is trapped between the sub and
finished floor. You didn't mention what flooring is in the bath.

"Teo" wrote in message

ups.com...

Last night, my 3-year son decided to make a "magic" potion after
watching a Harry Potter movie. He tapped the two sinks in the bathroom
on the second floor to fill them with water and "forgot" to turn them
off. As a result, the magic potion spilled on the floor resulting in a
3'x3' size puddle for some 20-30 minutes. The water found its way to
the first floor ceiling. We discovered this accident after seeing that
water is coming through the chandelier hole on the first floor which
is directly below the bathroom on the second floor.

Things I've done so far: I removed the chandelier from the first floor
to let the water out. I deployed two fans - one on second floor to dry
out the carpet (an area of 1'x1' of the corridor adjacent to the
bathroom got saturated) and another one to dry out the ceiling on the
first floor. This morning I inspected the ceiling on the first floor.
I can see a few small wet areas mainly around the chandelier outlet
but no other serious damage at this point. I open up all windows on
the first and second floor and switched on the ceiling fans. Our house
was built in 2000.

What possible interior and exterior damage should I expect and what
should I do from here on besides sending the magician to Hogwarts?- Hide quoted text -