Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Darkening Stainless steel?

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 20, 5:22 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

... On Tue, 20 Feb 2007
20:40:57 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that worrying about the color
of a dog's dish is more than a little silly?

Well, lets see... The feeder the dishes go in is made of bird's-eye
maple
and walnut I harvested from a friends tree. Hmmm, why would anyone
worry
about the color of dog's dish? So it looks good?!

It looks good to you. Does the dog care?

As long as it smells, she doesn't even have to see it.

T-

I've been unsuccessful posting earlier versions of this but I'll try
again.

Black Oxide is the classic dark (anti-glare) finish for SS.

Traditional process is a professional hot chemical process, DIY cold
process exists but result is not as good.

Check with a local plating house for cost....maybe they can piggy back
your job on a bigger one.

I'm not sure about the food safety of black oxide, it is a "conversion
coating", ask the tech folks at the plater.

http://www.wayneblackoxide.com/

http://www.engineersedge.com/black_oxide.htm

Finally, since black oxide is a conversion coating & stainless steel
corrosion resistance works by developing a thin layer of chromium
oxide....the two kinda work at cross purposes. The black oxide
gives a good black color but compromises the CrO layer.....SS coated
with black oxide can rust and a dog dish seems like the perfect
environment for corrosion

How about a black ceramic dish?

I was reluctant to use a ceramic because there is only a tiny lip to keep
the dish from falling through. But I just bought a hole cutter that could
probably work; so yes, ceramic might be a good choice here.

I appreciate your info on the black oxide.