JMartin957

Default Strangest first project.

Mine wasn't a radio, but a mount to carry a portable radio on my bicycle.
Vacuum tubes didn't take too kindly to the bumps, but it did play most of the
time.

Those were great days. Bicycling out Croton Lake Road on a summer day, radio
going to WINS, fishing rod across the handlebars and a few friends along. Still
like the same music, but I sure don't miss that old one speed tank on the
hills. Or maybe I do miss it.... but not on the hills.

The go cart came next.

Too bad that my two sons, and most of the kids their age that I know, won't be
posting replies to a thread like this forty years from now. Growing up, my dad
had a bench grinder, a power drill, and a flexible shaft tool, and later a
radial arm saw that I wasn't allowed to use. I have a basement full of saws
(table, band, scroll), lathes (wood, 2 metal), shapers (wood, metal), milling
machine, drill press, jointer and planer. Not to mention the power hand tools.
And, yes, that old bench grinder and the flexible shaft tool. While each boy
- now 24 and 20 - has built things in the shop, I don't think either has ever
done a major project entirely on his own. That's sad.

John Martin