The Natural Philosopher

Default Weird mouse problem solved...

Andy R wrote:

Some time ago I posted a PC problem - random mouse m,ovements and
windows opening and closing all teh time.

Well, it wasn't a virus, and changing the mouse seemed to help...but it
was getting worse and worse..and occasionally the keyboard locked as well.

A bt of a discussion with the local propellor heads elicited the fact
that to do THAT (have the keyboard lock up) was deep Hardware Magic.

My suspicions were already aroused,so I blagged a spare processor fan -
I have seen this sort of random weidrness on CPU's that got too hot

before.

Bingo.

On inspection, a moth had died in the fan, and got its corsep stiuck
between the blades and teh heatsink, and teh subsequent build up of dist
fag ash, mouse droppings and who knows waht had clogged theheatsink.

A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger to
remove the moth, had her all up and running...so far...so good.

Just in case someone else has similar problems.

Must take the fan back. The old one works fine, sans moth...

I've had this prob but resolved by a different means. If your prob recurs
do a KB search on www.microsoft.com for "erratic mouse", it has several
articles.

Sadly its back again, tho much less annoying and I think I may have
damaged the Pentium III beyond repair..I think the timing has driufted
somewhere and teh chip is getting stick in an interrupt service routine
sometimes.

Rgds

Andy R