Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Charlieb: Which Midi lathe?

Turner wrote:

I am amazed at the wealth of information you have at your
website. I will be popping in every spare moment before and
after we move into a 3bds house.

Actually, it's the fact that I spread it out that makes it
look like there's more than actually there. I'm a visual
learner so there are plenty of pictures, diagrams and
illustrations - all of which take up more page space than
a bunch of text. I also include stuff that's probably
"common knowledge" but I'd rather have too much info
than just enough to get myself in trouble.

I will busy making a
completely new kitchen a bathroom and maybe a year later
adds another bedroom.

If you're going to do ply and face frame cabinets with maybe
raised panel doors I'd seriously look into Festools plunge saw
and straight edge guide. Great for dealing with 3x8 sheets
of ply and with accessories will also do miter cuts etc..
That and a good router, with router table and fence will
let you do cope and stick raised panel doors.

I got the two cars' garage for my
woodworking , my wife a bedroom for her craft shop and the
living room will be my kid study room.

You'll find that a 2 car garage can get kind of cramped as
time goes on and tools and wood are accumulated.

While planning for the move and shopping for woodworking
machineries, I am also looking for lumbers and plywood in
the SFO and surrounding areas. Do you know any lumberyard
where I could buy "reasonable" price roughed sawn hard
Maple, Oak, furniture grade plywood and rough sawn railroad
tie lumber (6/4x8')?

That's three distinctly different places. For hardwoods
and exotics there's Global Wood Source in North San Jose.
Baker Hardwoods is in Morgan Hill but he's By Appointment
Only. Specializes in claro walnut but has lots of other stuff
as well - and a big horizontal bandsaw so he can cut to order
- for a price of course.

For baltic birch ply and furniture grade hardwood veneered
ply there's Aura Plywood near downtown San Jose. The
rail road ties - I've no idea.

Welcome to the SF Bay Area - a den of equity

For machines - checkout Tool Land in San Carlos. Funky,
crammed to the ceiling with machines, tools etc. place
but they carry all sorts of machines - including Festool.

Thank you.

No problem.