Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default drill chuck removal

In article ,
Tim W wrote:
I need to change the chucks on a couple of small electric drills. First I
remove the LH threaded screw from inside the jaws of the chuck. Then what?
The small section of shaft between the chuck and the drill has flats on it
but do I unscrew the chuck or knock it off with a hammer? Is the thread LH
or RH? would rathe know before applying brute force.

Tim W

The chuck on a hand held drill has a RH thread. Most do not have an
accessible way to lock the shaft from turning while unscrewing the chuck.
The classic way is to tighten the short leg of the biggest 'L' shaped
allen wrench that fits in the chuck, then smack the free end with a
hammer in the appropriate direction. After removing the LH thread
retaining screw of course!

I have a very old, very heavy duty B&D drill that has a jacobs taper
chuck. It has some patent dates on it from the 1920s; I've never seen
any other hand-held that didn't have a threaded chuck.

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org