Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Sideboard Strategies?

wrote:

snip of interesting comments

: As far as the finishing goes, today's finishes can really grind down
: the gears of expansion and contraction. The lacquers I shoot come in
: the can around 22% solids, and I understand others are even more.
: Some of todays polys are no less than 30% solids! About three coats
: of that and you have encased your project in plastic!

I always thought the solids percentage was the in-the-can ratio
of solids to solvent (so once the solvent evaporates, the
effective solids go up to 100%, regardless of what they started as).
Does the stated solids amount affect transfer of water vapor? There was
an old FWW article on how well finishes resist that, with thick wax
coming out on top (really thick, not what you'd actually put on
something), followed by shellac, followed by various varnishes,
with oil at the bottom.

(But remember
: Karl uses his own witches brew and method.... bubble bubble... toil
: and trouble...). If this is the protocol he describes on his website,
: it will be well sealed, indeed.

: While It may not prevent movement altogether, but it will make a huge
: difference in mitigating it.

Could be -- as you say, it's an experiment.

-- Andy Barss