Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whole House Water Filters

"mcp6453" wrote in message
After changing another disintegrated flapper on my toilet, I wonder if it
is time to get a whole house water filter. We're on city water, but I have
to clean the aerators on the facets and the flappers on the toilets from
time to time. It also seems abundantly clear to me that there is a racket
going on in the water filter business.

Can someone recommend a good brand or model of whole house water filter?
My home has copper plumbing, and I would definitely have it professionally
installed. Does Lowes or Home Depot sell quality filters?

I have Insta-Pur but don't see them around any more. I use whatever
cartridges I can easily find for sediment. They all seem about the same in
quality. A sediment filter will get rid of most of your problems. I have
city water and was changing the faucet seals every six months. Now they
last 10 years or more.

They are not very difficult to install if you are a little handy and own a
couple of wrenches. Takes about 15 minutes.