jim rozen

Default Strangest first project.

In article , Gary Coffman says...

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:48:27 -0500, "Backlash" wrote:
Anyone else brave enough to share THEIR first project?

As a kid, my fascination was with radio. I built a couple of crystal
radios, a working telegraph (metalworking content, I made the keys
and the sounders), etc. I was about 7 then. Later I made a radio
telescope (stacked homemade yagis on a homemade az-al mount).
It used a 416B as the preamp and it would actually show sun noise
on the oscillograph (paper tape). Won a science fair with that when
I was 12.

Likewise. The first "thing" I ever built that really worked
was a one tube radio, right out of the "boys first book of
radio." I forget the author's name but it was a classic.

My radio didn't *look* like the one in the book, but after
building crystal sets that got only one station (wabc) it
was great to have some volume and selectivity.

I didn't have a socket that fit the 37 tube so I just strapped
the tube down over its base and soldered to the pins. The
fillament was by battery, but the B+ was from a suplus military
dynamotor, with the 28 volts provided from an old train transformer.

I recall being vaguely amazed that the thing had enough pizzaz
to give me a good shock once.

Jim

please reply to: