Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Speaking of arbor presses

"Steven" wrote in message
om...
I've made a few modifications to my import 3 ton arbor press that may
be of interest. The end of the ram was drilled and tapped for a 1/2-20
screw stud. That then enabled me to attach jacobs type chucks to the
ram. I also made an adapter to allow 1/2 inch drive sockets to be held
on the end of the ram. I also made a screw press adapter for the
press. The adapter is substituted for the ram and pinion. Refer to the
following url's for pictorial details:

Thanks for the pictures Rick. I'm also interested in the adaptor to
use sockets. Is the use of sockets just a quick way to have a
variety of punch sizes?

I like the "cup" idea suggested by Harold and Dan, but I'm still
leaning towards drilling and tapping one end. It's not too difficult
to flip the ram around on my press. I'd have more options that way
and could avoid the mushed over hole peoblem mentioned by Harold. For
smaller jobs it would seem like a plus not having a bunch of tooling
hanging off the end.

Since we're on the subject, has anyone found the need to replace or
modify the "table"? So far, mine hasn't been a problem in it's "as
supplied" condition.

Steven Harris
Everson, WA

Hey Steven,

I broke my plate years ago. Not sure, but I believe it is called a
bolster. At any rate, I purchased a large piece of 1" steel plate to
replace the broken cast iron bolster, but I have yet to make a new one.
When the day comes that I do, it will be made slightly differently so parts
have more support towards the front of the press. I never liked the
original.

Mean time, I have used some large rectangular bars of stainless in place of
the original, and they seem to serve me quite well, and permit supporting
both sides of an item.

I made an extension that permits working on longer pieces. It slips in
where the bolster would normally fit. By making a modified U
configuration, I added an additional 13" height. At this point I don't
have a hole through the bottom plate, but it would accommodate one
reasonably well so long as it's not very large. My press is a Dake 2B,
3/6 ton, compound leverage.

Anyone interested can ask and I'll send a pic or two and describe what I did
to make the extension.

Harold