Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default access chamber sealing gasket

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:31:59 GMT, wrote:

I've an access chamber with a screwed down lid, with a sealing gasket to
prevent contents/smells leaking out.

During a recent blockage it was leaking. It seems to be a soft black foam
strip similar to draughtproofing strip, about 12mmx5mm glued in with what
looks to be Evo Stick. It's been there about 15 years, and has perished.

What is the best material to replace this seal? I'm contemplating filling the
groove with silicone clear sealer, levelling it off, and letting it cure,
then fitting and screwing it down.

What does the assembled expertise consider to be the best method of sealing
this cover?

Insertion rubber is your friend.

--
Frank Erskine