Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default They did it again!

In article , AL wrote:

Recommendations that anything be "rounded" up OR down to the nearest
nickel tells me somebody skipped class the day rounding was taught.

Yep -- and methinks it was you.

Rounding is to the NEAREST DECIMAL POSITION, not to the nearest half
decimal position!

Not true. Rounding can be to any arbitrary regular interval: the nearest dime,
nearest nickel, nearest quarter, whatever.

If you eliminate the penny you must eliminate the
nickel - it resides in the same decimal position as the penny.

Absolute nonsense.

Or are
you going to tell me all the accounting systems out there already know
how to "round" to the nearest nickel without having to be modified?

And how many accounting systems do you suppose are capable of rounding to the
nearest *dime* without being modified?

I think somebody needs to dust off their 5th grade arithmetic book - the
topic doesn't even rise to the level of math.

I quite agree; you certainly do.

--
Regards,