Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Measuring load on a circuit breaker.

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Considering that there's a "source" of the power and a "load" where
it's dissipated. it would be hard not to see a direction in there.

Technically you don't have a "power source" in an electrical circuit.
You either have a voltage source or a current source or a combination of
the two.

Power doesn't flow in a circuit--only current does. Power is dissipated
by the various components in a circuit. The instantaneous power
dissipated by any particular component can be given by I^2*R, where I is
the instantaneous current flowing through the component and R is the
resistance of the component. (This is all assuming a purely resistive
load.)

The electrical utility applies an alternating voltage to the conductors
attached to the house. This causes an alternating current to flow in
those conductors, with the amount of current depending on the resistance
of the various circuits in the house.

Thus, whether you say the hot wire "goes to", or is "connected to", or
"comes from" the breaker, it is all equivalent.

Chris