Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default AFCI and UPS?

Starting in the 2008 code AFCIs will be required on all 15 & 20A 120V
residential branch circuits. Coincidentally these will be the new AFCIs
that include series arc detection that aren't yet on the market - large
numbers of devices with inadequate field experience will be installed.
In this instance perhaps you aren't hard enough on the NEC. It
will be interesting if all the panel manufacturers even have the new
AFCIs by 2008.

At least the AFCIs out there now have a track record. Advice about not
volunteering sounds much better for the new AFCIs.

I guess I don't understand WTF is going on.

A "series" fault is, exactly, what?

My hope is that the gadgets detect a loose connection that might result in
something overheating.

What, exactly, DOES the gadget detect?