Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default drill chuck removal

"Tim W" wrote in message
I need to change the chucks on a couple of small electric drills. First I
remove the LH threaded screw from inside the jaws of the chuck. Then what?
The small section of shaft between the chuck and the drill has flats on it
but do I unscrew the chuck or knock it off with a hammer? Is the thread LH
or RH? would rathe know before applying brute force.

Tim W

Unscrew the chuck in the opposite direction that you used to remove the
screw.

A good rule of thumb, remove almost anything that spins in the same
direction that the machine or tool normally spins when in normal operation
and tighten in the opposite spin direction.