Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Spraying vs. Rolling Kitchen Cabinets

"GG.and.UN." wrote in message
oups.com...
I have one more pressing question:

I should have everything sanded down to bare wood in a few hours, now
what are the recommendations on priming? Should I still prime now
that it's bare wood? I used the oil-based Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3
before but that was over a TSP-washed poly gloss. I've read a lot of
places that it's not absolutely necessary to prime if using a top-
quality paint. I went to the paint store and decided on some Sherwin-
Williams ProClassic Alkyd paint. If priming is still recommended, what
are some best of the best primers and what would be a kind I'd look
for in a Sherwin-Williams store? Thanks for all the help!

A primer is used to insure a good bond between the material and the paint.
Also, it can be used to smooth imperfections. Do a "very" light sanding
after the primer to knock down any dust speck bumps. Wipe off the dust and
apply the paint. Typically it is best to use the same brand primer as the
paint that you will be using.

The SW top of the line Alkyd is what I used to paint the trim and flat slab
doors in my house. I did not use any additives at all. I would prime if
going on top of bare wood. The wood will soak up some paint and better it
be your first coat of the less expensive primer than the top coat material.
If going over existing paint I prep the old surface by wiping down with
Liquid Sander and then going straight from there with the final top coat.

With that paint I had great results painting the slab doors with the 4"
small cell roller where the door hung. As another poster indicated, get the
paint on the door and don't over work it. When it has good coverage work
another area. Practice on the back side of a door until you get the feel.
It really is pretty simple. the trick is to not get too much paint on the
roller and create a mess.