Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Another mold question

(Stacia) wrote in :

"Lawrence" writes:

Thanks for all the advice guys. We're definitely going to get an
exhaust fan installed when the remodelling happens. I have no clue why
none was installed originally, because the bathroom wall is right next
to the kitchen wall, and very close to the kitchen exhaust.
I hope the wallpaper spots are just mildew and not mold, but I've got
a bad feeling about it. The previous owners may very well have been
trying to hide mold, and I'm a little irked that the inspector didn't
find it (he didn't find the rotten wood drawer in the bathroom vanity,
either).

A few of points:
* Don't hook the bathroom fan to the existing kitchen duct. It will blow
the moist air into the kitchen. Each fan needs its own ducting, unless
you put in complicated baffles.
* Check the warranty from your inspector. His insurance might cover the
things he missed.
* Check with your real estate agent about the mold. If the previous owner
purposely hid defects, he might be on the hook to fix them.