Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default Electrical Interference on Cable Internet???

Felder wrote:
Howdy all. I recently upgraded my internet connection from dial-up to
high speed via cable (about time, I know). Since installing the cable
I have been having problems getting connected to the internet. If I
connected the modem straight to the cable drop coming in the house I
would get a good connection, but when I run a cable from the drop to
the computer (about 25', no splitters) I would fail to get a
connection. Sometimes it would connect, but most the time it would
not. So, I got to looking at the cable run (finished basement, drop
ceiling) and discovered that in two places the cable was running along
side and sitting right on top of some romex. Hmmm, I thought to
myself. Could I be getting interference on the cable from the romex?
So, I moved the cable several inches away from the romex and low and
behold a got a good internet connection.

I have a cable guy coming out later this week to check my signals so
I'll ask him if the electric lines could cause enough interference to
affect my internet signal. It appears so and makes sense to me
especially if the cable is right on top of and running parallel with
the romex. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

-Felder

This is my second try, but my response from yesterday
didn't show up in my list today.

You did the right thing in moving the coax away from the
power line.

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea to run
communications cables parallel to power cables. There
is always a good chance of interference. When I was an
engineer at NASA the standard policy was to never run
power cables and signal cables in the same raceway. And
when signal and power cables have to cross they should
cross at right angles.

Even if there is no apparent problem when running power
and signal cables together there may be when unusual
power conditions occur. I have been told of severe
consequences when such events occur.

In the home power and signal cables should always be run
in separate wall cavities.

Bill Gill