Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default spraying minwax spar urethane

wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, I had to LMAO at that one. I think it helps to use more
technical terminology that pertains to the subject like "screw th
pooch". Hah!

Mike, I think you and me both post the longest replies here on
subjects of finishing, and maybe on the group. I can be brief, but I
have a tendency to read the group late at night when I am winding
down, and once I get to whacking away on the keyboard a lot comes out.

No kidding - me too. I'll find myself trying to be brief, only to later
find myself adding explanation to explanation, to clarification, to examples
and metaphores. Pretty soon I've got a freakin novel going.

Finishing is and continues to be a black art of sorts for anyone I
know. It is easy to get going and in great conditions put down a
great finish. But where the rubber meets the road is dealing with the
variables. To me, when I am in science mode, that makes it
interesting. When I am finishing a project for a client, the
variables step up the challenge so I feel like I need to know
everything I can.

That's the truth about any sort of finishing. The basic techniques can be
mastered rather quickly with a little guidance. The chemical mixtures can
be mastered by simply following instructions on can labels. After that, all
of the adjustments for temperature, humidity, retarders that aren't really
the right ones for the conditions, and all of the variables that go into
getting a nice finish that does not require a ton of hand work after the
spray, is a black art indeed. I've often thought that if anyone watched me
spray they would have more questions about why I did things that were not
really as I had advised in some post here, and all I'd be able to say would
be... well, because.

--

-Mike-