Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default home made chuck for finishing the bowl base?

Gerald Ross wrote:
George wrote:

Alternatives exist. For instance:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...oldProcess.flv

snip

I watched all the videos. I can't see what is holding the bowl. A
faceplate?

Could be. Could also be that he has a chuck expanded into a center hole
drilled with a larger Forstner bit or, if somewhat adventurous (I'm
guessing here) even on a pin chuck. Come to think of it, it could even
be on a screw chuck. If he's putting this sort of a bottom recess in, my
guess would be that there is a four jaw chuck on the other side of that
blank.

Drill recess, insert chuck, screw chuck on to lathe, bring tailstock up
to secure, turn bottom and O.D., pull tailstock back and cut recess for
holding bottom while hollowing out the inside. Chuck up one more time
and clean up the bottom. It's that last chucking that gets a little funky.

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000715-0, 02/20/2007
Tested on: 2/21/2007 12:12:08 AM