Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Federal Pacific Circuit Breaker Box with Challenger breakers???

On Feb 20, 6:33 pm, "vic" wrote:
Just moved into an eighteen year old condo that has a federal pacific
electric breaker panel with challenger circuit breakers.

I have an 1988 vintage GE electric combination electric range/oven
with an integrated over the range microwave.

Every time I use the electric range, its oven, and the microwave
together, the range circuit breaker in the panel box trips. This
circuitbreaker is double breaker that has 40 on its two tandem
switches which I assume is an 80 amp double breaker.

I am looking for professional opinions

Is it possible the 80 amp breaker is bad??

Would the total draw of the range its oven and the micro on at the
same time cause an 80 amp rated breaker to trip??

Thanks for your help

VIC

It is a 40 amp breaker, it's probably bad.

You'll probably get all sorts of warnings of dire consequences if you
don't immediately replace the panel.

Well, I've lived in two houses that both had Federal panels. If fact,
in the area there are 100's of homes with Federal panels.

I've never experienced any problems with my panels or heard of any
problems in the area. Of course, this is purely anecdotal evidence
so, what's it worth?

I bought enough new breakers to replace the mis-behaving ones in the
two houses mentioned above

I bought them on ebay from this guy

http://stores.ebay.com/Sparkys-Place

NEW PUSHMATIC ITE Bulldog 2 Pole BREAKER 40 Amp P240
Item number: 150066580169 ~$60 + shipping

He has well functioning used ones & "new old stock" ones......I bought
new ones the replace any balky breakers AND any breakers more than 15
years old. The new ones worked great, crisp on/off function, not the
sloppy on/off behavior of the 45 year old ones.

His used ones are ~$25 + shipping

cheers
Bob