Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default Plumbing Question - Bathtub Shower Pipes

"The Sparkster" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm trying to help out a friend who purchased a house built in the
early 1970's. In their main bathtub, they have a small broken
showerhead that attaches to a shower pipe with a ball on at the end of
it. We could not find a decent replacement showerhead that would fit
it. Apparently, all the new stuff screws on and, with a replacement
showerhead, there are three different size/makes of ball fittings to
choose from. I sweated off the ball and it now leaves an unthreaded
shower pipe behind.

The problem is that the riser pipe and everything behind the wall is
also soldered together. The bathtub is part of a tub enclosure which
makes access from the shower side impossible. Also, there is no direct
way to access the pipes from the opposite wall without doing some
cutting of the sheetrock - it's a wall papered room. This makes
changing the shower pipe or the whole assembly difficult.

I'm reaching out for any help in finding an adapter or other solution
so that I could use the existing unthreaded shower pipe. Possibly
something that would solder on the one side and have threads on the
other.

Would anyone be able to help?

Thanks so much,
Wayne

The standard way it should be plumbed the pipe inside the wall than feeds
the shower head should have a Drop eared 90 on it
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1306326
The pipe (usually chrome) that sticks out the wall screws into the Drop ear
90, shower head screws to that.