Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default copper pipe repair

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Hi all,

I have a copper water pipe behind a drywall ceiling. Turns out that when
the ceiling was installed a drywall screw punctured the pipe. Many years
passed until the screw rusted enough and it started dripping, causing a
stain on the drywall ceiling. I listened to the recommendation of a guy
on
the HD floor and patched it with a metal epoxy putty. That held tight for
a few years, now the stain is back.

Is there a simple way to patch this by cutting out the bad spot and using
pressure fittings or something similar? I don't want to try soldering in
that confined space. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Sounds like your getting a lot of half ass advice. It sounds like the pipe
is going threw a ceiling joist or attached to the side. The best bet would
be to cut a section out use two slip couplings. If the pipe is running threw
the joist you could cut out a 16" piece so the ends are in the open for
soldering. If it's attached to the side you might have to pull it down
enough to clear the joist or pry it away. It hard to tell without seeing it.
If your not comfortable with solider it If you have it exposed you might
call a plumber to solider it. There's a lot of other tricks, spray the wood
down with a spray bottle, sheet metal shield. You don't want to do this
again so do it right.