Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Paul is offline

Default Adding electrical outlet question

well there were technically 3 (black, white, ground)...

is it possible to add an outlet to a "switch leg"?

thanks,

-paul

On Feb 20, 6:22 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It sounds like you've connected an outlet to a switch leg. If there were
only two wires in the switch box, connected to the switch, you don't have a
neutral, which is required to feed an outlet

"Paul" wrote in message

ps.com...

hello - I amaddinga couple of outlets in my unfinished basment,
something I have done before (though never in this house - new (1985)
house)
However, with this circuit, when I add anoutlet(black/white/ground
NM), and I test theoutletwith circuit tester , I get "hot/neutral
reversed".
When I flip the switch that I believe is at the end of this circuit,
(this switch controls an overhead light, and only has cable going into
it) my circuit tester (on my "new"outlet) changes from "hot/nuetral
reversed" to "hot/ground reversed". As far as I know, there is nothing
(outlet, junction box, switch) between my newoutlet, and the wall
switch.
The light switch has a black wire, and white wire that has been
painted black going in, as well as bare ground.
Any suggestions as how to wireoutlet, re-wire wall switch?
Many thanks,
-paul