Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Adding electrical outlet question

On Feb 20, 6:16 pm, "Paul" wrote:
hello - I am adding a couple of outlets in my unfinished basment,
something I have done before (though never in this house - new (1985)
house)
However, with this circuit, when I add an outlet (black/white/ground
NM), and I test the outlet with circuit tester , I get "hot/neutral
reversed".
When I flip the switch that I believe is at the end of this circuit,
(this switch controls an overhead light, and only has cable going into
it) my circuit tester (on my "new" outlet) changes from "hot/nuetral
reversed" to "hot/ground reversed". As far as I know, there is nothing
(outlet, junction box, switch) between my new outlet, and the wall
switch.
The light switch has a black wire, and white wire that has been
painted black going in, as well as bare ground.
Any suggestions as how to wire outlet, re-wire wall switch?
Many thanks,
-paul

Where did you get the wires that you connected to the new outlet too?