Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Hurricane proof garage doors

"mm" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:59:10 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Question about hurricane proof garage doors in Miami, FL.

I understand all new doors in south Florida need to be hurricane proof
doors. Does anyone know what exactly that means?

It is a special kind of doors or does it mean a special way of installing
the door with reinforcement?

Thanks,

MC

What I think you need are depressions in the floor the size of your
shoes, then a steel bar is inserted and clamped so that YOU don't blow
away in a hurricane.

But seriously, a while back I saw that someone said most Florda roofs
could be saved if the roof were actually attached to the rafters, I
think it was. That the problme was the roof was just sitting on the
rafters and the nails basically just kept the plywood from sliding
off, but not from being lifted off. And that simple straps nailed (or
screwed?) in place between the plywood and the rafters, or was it the
rafters and something else, would prevent the loss of most roofs.

I suppose this is completly or largely true, but I don't remember if
there was to be a campaign to refit roofs or if they were planning for
new construction only, and I don't remember how old your house is or
know if you should do anything aobut all this.

Hurricane straps have been a building requirement in Florida since the '80s,
according to my contractor. They are metal straps which hold the rafters to
the walls to keep the roof from lifting off in hurricane winds. Houses with
hurricane straps qualify for a discount on their homeowners' insurance (or,
at least my company gives a discount --)