Gears

Default Strangest first project.

A memory comes to mind of when I dismantled our power reel lawnmower, and
built a wooden go-kart, with tiller steering, from the drive unit.
After I got it together, I had to take it for a spin. up the alley and on to
the street. I went about ½ a block and got pulled over by a cop.
He told me to get that piece of **** off the road. Since he was yelling it
over the bullhorn, it startled me so much that I jerked the rope handle, and
ran the kart into the curb. When I hit the curb it ripped the nails out
holding my steering board on. I had to drag the unit home in pieces.
My Dad was not thrilled when he got home from work to find the lawnmower
dismantled.

The go-kart was very dangerous by today's standards, as the reel was still
attached and spinning. The positive outcome of the go-kart incident was Dad
bought a riding lawnmower. it didn't take long for me to discover that the
new lawnmower would get the front wheels off the ground when I let out the
clutch fast. not real good wheelies, but being under 10 years old they were
enough to keep me mowing the yard almost everyday.

--
Please visit my website.
http://www.wallenderengineering.com

"Backlash" wrote in message
I also lost a left sleeve many moons ago on my Atlas/Craftsman 12" right
after I first got it during the winter. Impressed me, too. G

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of

you."

"jim" wrote in message ...
Backlash wrote:

Today someone was asking about my first metalworking project as a kid,

so I
thought I would share it with you guys.
When I was 12, my uncle gave me an old lawnmower, along with an old
wringer washing machine. These were my first project parts

aquisitions.
wanted a power tool, so I took the motor off the washing machine. The

mower
was next, losing the head and all external engine parts along the way,
except for the flywheel and coil assembly. I made angle clips and

mounted
the
engine block to a plywood base with the piston upright. Took the rings

off
the piston, drilled holes in the top of it to mount two angle clips a

couple
of inches long. Added an oil dipper on the connecting rod. Cut pipe

spacers
and mounted a small piece of plywood to the top of the block with
countersunk head bolts to allow the "table" to clear the angle clips.

Bolted
a sawzall blade to the top of the piston using small bolts through the
clips, and cut a slot in the table for it to pass through. Belted the
flywheel and motor together, wired it, and plugged it in.
I was proud as hell of my new "jigsaw" I had created, and got my

Dad
the
carpenter, to show him my work. He was duly impressed, and asked me if

the
spark plug wire was still sparking. This got me to thinking, so I

rigged
up
a ground rod and attached it to the block, then ran a probe from the
ignition lead to ground a foot or so away from it. Upon trying my new
device, I discovered I could saw wood and shock fishing worms out of

the
damp ground nearby at the same time!
I'm 51 and I haven't stopped building things since that first worm
shocker/saw. I chuckle out loud every time I happen to think about

that
thing.

Anyone else brave enough to share THEIR first project?

RJ
--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of

you."
mine was a metal turning lathe.. did not know even if a lathe existed,
but this is what i did.. took an old washing machine motor and used to
plug in in to just watch it spin... i then found a 9 in. piece of pipe
which seemed to be alum.. i beat it on the motor shaft and then watched
the motor spin the pipe... wow i thought, now i can put a file on the
pipe and make something... used to file away on the pipe with the motor
running... well i had long sleeve shirt on and the cuff got caught into
the end of the pipe.. it pulled me down into the pipe.... the inside of
the arm was pretty red from the force of the pipe pulling me into it....
well that was the last of the lathe.. it took me about 20 more years
before i had chance to play with another lathe.. this one i bought and
remembered to roll up my sleeves....